Anytime I think of it I will roast up a batch of vegetables just to have around - they make great snacks, side dishes, additions to salads and last minute dinners (think roasted vegetable soup, quinioa with roasted vegetables, or even in pasta with crumbled goat cheese or chunks of creamy brie)…I just made myself hungry!
The key to making this a super easy staple is the use of either parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet that is easy to clean. You can just oil your baking tray, but it there will be a bit more clean-up.
(Total time about 1 hour, active time 20 minutes)
- 500g (1lb) vegetables – see below
- 15-30 ml (1-2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 2ml sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Seasonings – optional - see below
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Toss the prepared vegetables (see below) with the oil, salt, pepper and any seasonings you are using.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer onto a rimmed baking sheet - lined with parchment paper or oiled. Do not crowd them, use 2 sheets if required.
- Bake until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred ~ 30-40 minutes. Toss them about 1/2 way through cooking if you remember.
- Toss with fresh seasoning and/or vinaigrette, if using
- Eat with abandon.
Beets/Turnip/Rutabaga - Scrub or peel, trim and cut into bite sized chunks or 3mm slices
Onions - Peel and trim keeping the root intact. Cut into wedges - using the intact root to hold the wedges together
Garlic - peel & trim the cloves
Potato/Sweet Potatoes - scrub & cut into 3cm thick rounds or thin wedges
Carrots - chop into 3-5cm pieces
Cauliflower/Broccoli- Chop into large bite sized pieces.
Brussel Sprouts - trim
- Drizzle with 10ml (2tsp) balsamic vinegar before roasting and then add splash after.
- Toss with 5ml (1tsp) curry powder before roasting and some chopped cilantro after.
- Toss with 5ml (1tsp) Chinese Five Spice powder & a few chilies before roasting.
- Toss with some chopped fresh mint, tarragon or parsley after roasting.
- Toss with a vinaigrette after roasting - my favourite is a dijon mustard vinaigrette