…oh yeah it also happens to be super good for you – loaded with vegetables, antioxidants and immune boosting coconut oil!
(total time under 30 minutes; serves 6 as a main)
- ½ pkg (400g) rice noodles – vermicelli or sticks
- 1 litre (4 cups) stock – I typically use chicken or fish
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10ml (2 tsp) minced ginger
- 5-15 ml (1 tsp-1 tbsp) Thai curry paste – depending on the heat of your curry paste
- 500g (1lb) protein (e.g. sliced boneless chicken, fish or shrimp, tofu, etc.)
- 1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 litre (4 cups) very thinly sliced vegetables (e.g. mushrooms, snow peas, frozen green peas, broccoli, peppers, bean sprouts, carrots, spinach, bok choy, etc.)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) lemon or lime juice
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) sugar
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) chopped green onion or shaved red onion
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) chopped cilantro
- Cook the rice noodles as directed and set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, whisk together stocks, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, curry paste and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust the spice level as required.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add any raw meat or frozen raw fish and hard vegetables (e.g. carrots & broccoli). Gently simmer until the meat/fish is almost cooked – approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of your vegetables and any frozen cooked or fresh fish, simmer until the vegetables are just getting tender - approximately 1 minute.
- Add the citrus juice, sugar, onion and cilantro.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer until all of the vegetables are tender (approx. 2 minutes) tasting and adjust seasonings as required.
- Serve poured on top of the rice noodles with the extras of your choice.