Needless to say making wonderfully nutritious breakfasts is not my strong suit, even making smoothies can be too much of a challenge. Left to my own devices I rely mostly on leftovers from the night before. I still don’t see the problem with grabbing a mug of split pea soup for breakfast – nutritious, filling and delicious! The kids however never did warm up to leftovers for breakfast – go figure. As the kids got older the issue changed from getting them to eat last night’s lentil stew, to getting them to eat anything at all before they ran out of the house late for school. Delicious, nutrient dense, baked goods was a solution that satisfied us all – even during the teen years!
Way better for you and way cheaper than store bought breakfast/granola bars these cookies are:
- Loaded with amazingly good stuff
- Easy to make – if you have kids old enough get them to make them (in my experience reminding them of the alternative option of leftovers for breakfast seems to motivate!)
- Adaptable – to your dietary needs (vegan, gluten free, etc.) and to what you have on hand - just follow the proportions
- Freezable – double or triple the batch if you want
- Portable – they travel really well, and are great for lunch with some yogurt & a salad or sandwiched with some nut butter with a side of veggie sticks.